++++ HW: Studio album

Fri Apr 25 10:35:51 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Doug Pearson wrote:

> Unfortunately, this link wasn't posted on this list (only the Yahoo! one),
> but this interview with Alan Davey seems to include more "hard facts" about
> the new album than I've seen from any other source (someone point me to it
> if there IS a better source of information!).  I'm not sure of the date of
> the interview, but it must be from earlier this year since it refers to the
> Walthamstow Xmas gig in past tense ...
>
> http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/alandaveyint.htm

        That's a good interview all round; full of Alan's personality
:-) Thanks for posting the link here. I hope the implication that Huw and
Simon aren't involved is wrong though. That would knacker `Strange Fruit'
in the selection too... And absence of Simon's violin as he plays it now
is just a terrible thing whatever else his contribution might or might not
be. I hope whatever is ailing him or otherwise preventing him showing up
to things is soon over.

> >        New tracks, leaving aside stuff released on _In Your Area_: `Anna
> >Seed', `Spacebrock' & `Money Tree', whatever the name of Ron's rework of
> >`The Owl and the Pussycat' was, `Earth Calling' in two different versions
> >and I *think* there was another Ron one about aliens in 1999.
>
> "Eeda-Karan" or something like that, which was just a spoken bit that
> included a "genetic engineering" reference - surprise surprise ;^).  Is
> that what you're thinking of?

        No, something more epheremal than that that only got a couple of
airings. I've had a look but I can't find the gig review that mentioned it
and I'm not sure it might not have been `Anna Seed' in its last appearace
anyway, but my impression was that the reviewer had seen them both in
successive gigs. Hmm.

        It couldn't be `Eedeakaran' anyway, because I scam this spelling
from the sleeve of _In Your Area_ where the words of that poem appear
under that title, and if you listen Ron's intoning it in the background of
`Prairie' on that very album, so that has in fact been released. And to be
utterly fair to Ron, there at least it contains no reference to genetic
engineerin, though I'm not convinced it didn't develop some as Ron tried
to turn it into a fear piece to shout at the audience over the course of
that tour... Yours,
                    Jon

ObCD: Neu! - _Neu!_
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)