HW: (the real) Death Trap lyrics

Fri Apr 25 16:08:32 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, kgerwers wrote:

> hi everybody -
> another call for help from any of you native speakers/listeners out there...
> I am actually working on a flash-version of DEATH TRAP - but
> some words might be just not quite right - at least when I compare
> the lyrics I have in front of me with the actual studio-recording.
> could some friendly soul out there clear this up?

        I'll give my take on it, because I'm not sure I exactly agreed
with anyone else's yet :-)

> I am pasting in the lyrics I got - but some lines definitely differ from the
> actual recordings...the odd word here and there might just be daftly wrong...
> thanks for help, as always....
> knut
>
> here are the lyrics:
>
> In the back of my neck I can feel a strange sensation
> Feels like I'm heading for the crisis of all creation
> Only those with death wish understand my situation
> Feels like Jesus Christ heading for the Stations

        `Feel' there not `Feels', I think; also the `... of the Cross'
that Doug notes from the live version is here too, hung over to the
beginning of the next line.

> In my death trap, death trap
> Running in my death trap, death trap
> Chicken running in my death trap, death trap

        Last line of the refrain is sung twice.

> Heading for the crossroads of fiery crucifixion

        As Joe Loehr said, this is `Cruising for the crossroads... '...

> Lighting up the night sky with bitterness distinction

        Could this be `Quatermass distinction'? I could hear either, he
says it so fast.

> While I hold a wheel of fate, smell of burning friction

        ... and I also think as does Joe that this is `One hand on the
wheel of fate... '

> I feel like a hero heading for extinction
>
> DEATH TRAP

        He definitely tacks "In my..." onto the beginning of this refrain,
which is as you have it above with the doubled last line again.

        You had the verse again here, but it doesn't happen yet, so I've
clipped it and moved it to where it does.

        [first guitar break]

> It's the smell of burning plastic   (??? is it "smell"????)

        I think this is "It's a shell of steel and plastic".

> Monkey on elastic, going up and down

        One repeat of this line, with `up and down' repeated at the end.

> Crank shaft cracking up
> Oil pressure going down
> Brake drums blowing out
> Tires on fire now

        Calvert would have spelt it `tyres' :-)

> Differential (or: Detrimental??) seize up, oil blast cam shaft

        I think that is `differential', but I think the second phrase is
`unbalanced camshaft'. Not sure about that though; I can hear `oil blast'
too.

> Worn out pistons rings, brake fade, brake fade

        `Piston' with no `s' there I think.

> hydraulic leak out, radiator overheat
> Monkey on elastic, going up and down

        Repeated once.

> Smell of burning plastic,

        This time it's definitely `Shell of steel plastic',
followed
by, "Ah turn it round";

> It's the smell of burning plastic,

        And here: "Shell of steel and plastic"

        [second guitar break]

> In the back of my neck I can feel a strange sensation
> Feels like I'm heading for the crisis of all creation

        This time there is no `all' there.

> Only those with death wish understand my situation
> Feels like Jesus Christ heading for the Stations

        Same as above: `Feel' not `Feels' and the "... of the Cross!'
coming in just before the next line.

> Heading for the crossroads of fiery crucifixion
> Lighting up the night sky with bitterness distinction
> While I hold a wheel of fate, smell of burning friction

        As above, I think `One hand on the wheel of fate'

> I feel like a hero heading for extinction
> In my death trap, death trap
> Running in my death trap, death trap
> Chicken running in my death trap, death trap

        Here it gets confusing. As I hear it Calvert is now only singing
`Chicken run', while the backing continues with `death trap, death
trap'. I don't think the linking `-ning in my' is there any more.

        Repeat I think three times.

> death trap, death trap ....

        Repeat lots of times, you can count 'em :-)

> DEATH-WISH

        I feel oddly sure I've disarranged the verse and refrains myself
now but that looks OK to me. Yours,
                                    Jon

ObCassette: Hawkwind - _P. X. R. 5_ (well there's a thing)
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)