BRAIN: Touring info that's phat!

Fri Apr 25 18:18:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, John A. Swartz wrote:

> Geez, I don't know about this promoter.  You'd think most BOC fans would
> be very excited to see both BOC and tBS within a short span of time, and
> would be more than willing to pay the extra price to also see a tBS
> show.  Is money that tight over there that fans of both bands wouldn't
> come out to see both?  What if these fans happen to like OTHER bands and
> are already planning on seeing them in the same timeframe?

        Well, as I mentioned a while ago, this season is being the
absolute top of the list for great bands touring (Hawkwind, University
of Errors, BOC, Tony Hill, and also Clutch with the Spiritual Beggars
already gone) but I was hoping to see tBS somehow and work out how to
afford it all later :-) I guess the problem is not so much convincing the
promoter that we'd pay, as him convincing the venues that the whole
venture would float. Most of them will only be seeing The Brain Surgeons'
`draw' in terms of the BOC connection, and also know that BOC are on tour,
and thus reckon a tBS show now to be a bad risk for them. And you've got
to face facts; Bouchard Dunaway Smith only drew a hundred or so in London
even, and as Si says the publicity for that was not bad, well beyond what
the venues themselves would ever put into it. I doubt The Brain Surgeons
would pull in much more and that sort of numbers doesn't really justify a
transatlantic crossing. There will be some people who can't do both and
that margin of extra people may make the difference for a later show or
two. That's my hope anyhow. Yours,
                                   Jon

--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)