HW: Classic Rock news Item

Tue Apr 29 12:27:23 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Si Halley wrote:

> HAWKWIND HAVE ALMOST COMPLETED A new album at the home studio of their
> guitarist Dave Brock. Though currently selfrecorded, it's highly possible
> that the band may bring in outside ears to oversee their first record for
> new label SPV Records. The as yet untitled album is loosely based on a
> thesis written by Richard Morley, who has also contributed some lyrics.

        <snip>

        This is all amazing stuff. A label, for a start. And it would be
SPV. Every day I seem to see another band finding a home there: Fu Manchu,
Motorhead obviously, just lately Skid Row and Sepultura, it's amazing. But
Lemmy's always complaining about lack of promotion it seems. Of course
Lemmy does generally do this... Still.

> "That was Arthur's suggestion," Brock says. "But we've also got Tim Blake on
> there, possibly a few others. Musically there's an awful lot going on
> Besides all the heavy rock and spacey stuff there's a full-on dance track
> and lots of electronic parts. The biggest problem is making sure they flow
> into one another. We've recorded 15 tracks, but there's some weeding out to
> do."
> Among the tracks up for inclusion are 'The Reality Of Poverty', 'Population
> Overload', 'Techno Land', 'The Molecular Family', 'Asylum Island' and 'One
> World Future'. The album isn't likely to be released until late September.

        This should be me told, shouldn't it? :-) 15 new tracks. But one
of them's called `Population Overload' and I'm sure I own this already,
indeed the _Distant Horizons_ track of the same name would fit the concept
just fine. Still, it looks from the titles as if it could hardly be less
topical, which is good: I suppose this is Morley and Brown but I like Dave
getting "a bit political". I'll be glad of some decently acerbic social
commentary.

        In a gesture of supreme faith therefore, I have actually put an
untitled album in the forthcoming section of my master copy of the "In
This Order" file :-) And, what's more, I've put it in above the Space
Ritual.net one... Thanks for posting this Simon. Yours,
                                                        Jon

--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)