HW: some, OFF: much

Tue Aug 5 16:07:49 EDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Henderson Keith wrote:

        <snip>

> > > What's Marc Power up to these days, anyone know?
>
> Recently I saw this announcement...so I guess Marc's healthy
> enough to play again now?  That's good news!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Scattered Planets will soon be hosting another space
> rock festival featuring bands from the Philadelphia
> area as well as nearby states.
>
> Featured acts include:
> Born To Go - http://borntogo.com

        <snip>

> This event will be held at the Rotunda in Philadelphia
> (4012 Walnut St). 6pm-2am on Saturday May 31st. The
> show is free for all ages. For more information on
> the Rotunda and other events held at this venue, visit
> http://foundationarts.org

        So did this actually happen and anyone see what Marc pulled out of
the bag?

> > Last ST 37 was total change from previous one which was total
> > change from previous one, so they're one of the most adventurous
> > ones around right now,that's for sure. But last more song-based
> > album improves with every play.
>
> In addition to their official CDs (Emperor Jones), they've been
> doing their own homemade 'outtakes' releases.  Including the
> one LP from a few years' back (The Secret Society was it?) and
> then a CD in c. 2001, black & white cover (can't remember the title,
> one word I think).  Anyway, I thought I saw that they had something
> new again on Black Widow for the near (if that's possible) future,
> oddly enough.  So they're very active it seems.  And if you go to
> their website, you will see they're working on a tour with Primordial
> Undermind (the fourth (?) version, TX-based now) including other
> areas of the country (playing in Philly with Bardo Pond too).  For
> sometime in mid-Summer (July-Aug.).  So I guess there's definitely
> some life there!

        I confess I hadn't realised _Secret Society_ was an out-takes
album and was pretty disappointed with it when I got it. So I'm not sure
which CD you refer to there but I wouldn't mind knowing so as to get the
other albums before that.

> > > Don't know any
> > > of the Hungarian stuff I confess. Where would one ideally start with
> > > fixing that?
>
> Korai Orom - 1997 is my favorite.
> Colorstar - Heavenicetrip and Masfel - Anglyatojas (sp?) are also quite
> nice...Ozric-y, ethnic-y, trance-y tribal fun.

        I've been hearing good things about Korai Orom for so long that
they should already be on my (pretty hypothetical at the moment what with
cash and stuff) to-get list. So now they are.

> And does 'assorted projects' mean that he's still working with
> Alf Hardy (also ex-TDog)?  If so, I hope then the back catalog
> will get the deserved attention...but whether Steve Mills is
> onboard with it I can't guess.

        Well, the Earth Lab thing he had going at the beginning of the
year was definitely a Hardy co-operation, as I might have guessed from the
name had I remembered that The Paradogs' album is called _Foul Play at the
Earth Lab_; but whether they have control over their old stuff is anyone's
guess I imagine. Just thoughts, anyhow, yours,
                                                Jon

ObLP: Hawkwind - _Zones_
--
          "If you are rich, throw away your documents.
        If you are poor, do so also." (Egyptian proverb)