OFF IM/Dio/MH (was Re: Iron Maiden Airlines)

nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM
Wed Aug 13 17:16:24 EDT 2003

Sadly, I didn't really watch the show with a critical enough eye to really give the type of review you're probably used to on this site.  I can't even remember whole set lists or anything like that.  But here are a few observations:

Motorhead was supremely tight, excellent show.  Nothing off "Hammered", interestingly enough.  But "Sacrifice", complete with a Mikkey Dee drum solo, was quite amazing.  One song I sort of questioned was "Shoot You in the Back", but mainly because I happen to like Motorhead's post-"Orgasmatron" output better than the stuff that came before.

Lemmy and the boys played about 40 minutes of no-frills rock and roll, and they played it as bad-ass as I've ever seen them play it.

Dio was okay.  The set definitely got better as it went along.  He did "Heaven and Hell" and the "Mob Rules" from Sabbath, but no Rainbow. . . not even "Man on the Silver Mountain", which was strange.  Dio had one "prop". . . some mannequin chick with a hideous face.  He brought her out and sang to her during "Heaven and Hell", that little part where he goes, "There's a big black shape looking up at me, etc."

My favorite set was Motorhead, but I have to admit, Iron Maiden put on the best show.  As best as I could hear, Bruce Dickinson was hitting all the high notes he attempted, and the band was about as tight as a band can be live.  We actually left a few minutes before the show ended, so I don't know how they brought it to a close, but I did see two Eddies.  They had a walking one. . . one of those lumbering guys on stilts with the arms that only move below the elbows.  It's a lot cheesier when you're in your 30s, I can tell you.  A big Eddie also came up from behind the drum riser.  His head came off and a brain was inserted.  Also, during the opening song, "Number of the Beast", they had a "666" in lightbulbs up behind the drums.  Whenever he said "666", they lit up, and they were BRIGHT.  You actually couldn't look right into 'em.

I only heard two non-Dickinson songs.  One being "Iron Maiden".  The other, surprisngly, was a song that I think came from the period when Dickinson left and that Blayze guy took over.  The song was called "The Clansman".  When he intro'd it, Bruce talked about how it was about being your own person and not following the crowd.  He made some crack about people who "listen to 'N Sync instead of Motorhead", for which he received much love from the audience.

Bruce also lit into (pun intended) the pot smokers, saying the smoke "fucks with my voice", and wondering which side of the stage he should stand at to avoid it.  He was not kind to those who were toking up, which is a risky move, given the crowd this type of show attracts.

I wish I could have been more specific for you.  If I think of anything else of note, I'll pass it along.

--Nick