Off: HaWkFest

Maxine Wesley maxine.wesley at PORT.AC.UK
Thu Aug 14 05:11:54 EDT 2003

Take me back to the war^H^H fest I survived.....

What a weekend! - magnificent in all ways.. well organised/executed.

Getting in & setting up the tent was painless (no queues), campsite
easy to find from the map provided. I didn't have to cue once for the
toilets which as people have mentioned were ample, cleaned &
always provisioned. The showers were fine and their presence re-
assuring even if you didn't use them. The beer/wine/food was cheap,
the 'outlets friendly/well staffed. It was re-assuring to glance in the
purse on saturday night and see that I still had plenty of money to
spend within the budget before monday !!

The bands - what to say - i was asked on saturday wether I had
attended the festival to see Hawkwind or for the general
ambience/feel of the festival. Initially I admit I had only one goal in
mind & that was to see HW play again but I soooo much enjoyed the
other bands that played & the whole friendliness/atmosphere of the
event that I must admit if I attended again: HW might be the icing on
the cake again but the rest of the bands & ambience of the festival
would also be an attraction.

I saw nearly all of the bands on the friday night but ommited to note
what they were called on hard copy (believeing my memory of the
event would hold up?) - wrong!! Can anyone supply a list of the bands
that played on friday night in the Barn & recommend any CD's from
the artists involved?  I'd especially like a recommendation for any Dr
Hasbeen cd titles that might be worth getting..... and as
aforementioned can anyone else fill me in on who else played on that
evening in the barn.?

I can only agree with all of the other folks who have posted post-fest
that Hawkwind played a blinding set... and a varied one to boot.... the
lightshow was excellent too. I concur with soemone's comment that it
took them a little while to 'warm up' into the night (still t'was nice to the
hear 'Arrival in Utopia' live) ...but once they were off (I think around
'Wings'?) there was no let up in intensity. highlights included the
privilege of having Hw on practically all day saturday .. favorite track of
the night 'Brainbox Pollution'.

I reckon even tho' it didn't rain that the 'marquee' style tent worked
better for the event -  the acoustics (over the dome-open tent)were
better and also by pressing everybody into a smaller space made for a
more intimate atmosphere. (Felt a bit lost in the field in Devon!)

I didn't expect to enjoy Aurthur Browns solo set (not really knowing
any of his solo material beyond 'FIRE' but - WOW - bloody good
entertainment.

I would agree that you probably couldn't get a better site than the
Preston one - but I think the notion of moving the festival around the
country is a good one - I met several folks from 'oop north' who said
they had missed the previous year due to travel difficulties/distance so
maybe an alternating location North/South - Midlands would be the
best option.

Roll on next year...

Maxine