HW Re: Hawkfest

gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK
Sat Aug 16 09:21:12 EDT 2003

At 11:53 14/08/2003 +0100, FoFP wrote:
>gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK writes:
>
>    Perhaps I would prefer less
> > "guests"... it's HW I really wanna see.
>
>No! NO! We need more Barton!
Maybe I just need more then! Was a bit of a case of "who's that then?" for me.

> > Really cool atmosphere (everything else was HOT!)... lovely food -
> > carnivores, it's only three days! Do you object to eating vegetables or
> > something?!!
>
>It's illegal for us Scots.
Well when I say vegetables, I do of course mean chips. Glasgow Salad.

> > Pity about the no fires, no barbecues, no candles thing... fires I can
> > understand, disposable bbq's leaving loads of burnt bits on the grass I can
> > pretty much understand
>
>Come on. Stick 'em on the box they came in and they're off the grass.
>Also, if it had gotten as cold as 2002 then we'd have at least needed a
>couple of big communal fires to get warm. What's with all this yank
>safety-nazi stuff? Can't we all just sign waivers saying that if we burn
>ourselves then it's our own fault? Is there a lawyer in the house?
Well yeah, I have to agree... I know fire hurts... if I'm stupid enough to
burn myself, or my tent then that's my problem. Saying that though, I was
quite surprised (followed by worried) at the size of fire you can get from
the remnants of a disposable barbecue filled with nightlight candles...
when it turns into a tray of burning wax and is fairly close to both the
tent and the hire car, "getting a wee heat" becomes secondary to "getting
this bloody thing away from me, the tent and the car". A little Hawkfest
2002 memory there... wasn't gonna fall for that this year. Wasn't ALLOWED
to fall for that this year. But I should be. If only for the entertainment
of those watching nearby.

> > Still, I s'pose that's the price that
> > has be paid for having facilities like showers etc. Being able to cook
> > would be very handy though (all my horrible, disgusting vegetables had to
> > come home with me).
>
>Can't you just plant them or something?
What, and have less room for the weeds? Never! (that weeds as in, well,
weeds officer. Not THAT sorta weed. Leave my front door alone )

>But OK, I'm being picky and I enjoyed the whole experience as much as
>anyone. Everything really worked well and the rave tent would have been
>fine if it'd been over by the river or somewhere else well away from the
>stages.
Yeah, I must say I'm only being picky too... thought the whole weekend was
excellent... great time had by all.
What a summer this has turned out to be... yet another excellent HW fest...
seeing Poison Idea for the first time in 10 years... Killing Joke at a
secret club show... first time in 8 years... Turbonegro boat trip on the
Thames next week (trying to arrange for Malcolm McLaren to get arrested,
we'll see...), Radio Birdman for the first time ever in a couple of
weeks... Only downside is missing HW in Amsterdam this weekend... been
waiting years for them to play there again, and it goes and coincides with
massive expense in so many other areas that I can't go!  Argghh.

I say again though... here's to Hawkfest 2004!

Dave