Off: Dio

DRider Farflung at COMCAST.NET
Thu Aug 21 19:37:55 EDT 2003

In a message dated 8/18/2003 6:42:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jasret at MINDSPRING.COM writes:

'Heaven and Hell' for the first time in ages last weekend,
and was struck with two thoughts:
The music is so much better than the last two Ozzy-era Sabbath albums.
The lyrics are sooooooo completely ridiculous!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Man, you guys have alot of love for DIO!  ")

some thoughts on recent discussions......

Holy Diver IS a pretty darn good record IMHO.
Rainbow in the Dark - yep - sick of it years ago!
...but I would rather hear that than Stairway to Heaven- YUCK!!

Of course, it came out my senior year of high school and I was into that
stuff back then.

I liked The Last In Line, but not as much as HD.
Sacred Heart got alot of play at the Dawg House in Bowling Green, Ohio where
I spent my time partying. It probably got played because it was a shiny new
compact disc - at the time - and none of us poor college kids owned that
many....
He put on a pretty cool show back then, if you were into the castles and
dragons kinda thang - which I was at the time.

As far as Dio's output w/ Sabbath - Heaven & Hell was and still is a killer
record and one of the best Sabbath records ever released. It certainly blows
away Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die w/ great ease!! I know in our
household, Heaven & Hell got as much or maybe more airplay than any other
Sabbath release and is probably tied w/ Master of Reality and Paranoid for
my favorite all-time Sabbath release. The Mob Rules is also a hell of alot
better than Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die.

Dehumanizer is garbage!

Ozzy has always been alot of fun, but as far as a singer - Dio has a much
better voice.

Rainbow Rising is a killer record and that is because of Dio. Do you really
think Ozzy could do Stargazer justice? How about Ian Gillan?? No way!!
Graham Bonnet certainly failed miserably.

Maybe, I like Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules because I was already a fan of
Dio's voice from his work w/ Rainbow...... I DO know that I am not into his
music anymore and have not been for over 15 years. Still, it's fun to
breakout some of those classics from my youth........
aaaaaah youth - where did it go!?!

Born Again - I agree - terrible cover.
The song 'Trashed' is smokin though ..... ")

Someone said that they did not buy any of the post - Dio - Sabbath records
and did not know if they were any good.

IMHO, the best one - by far - is Seventh Star.
The song writing is pretty darn good and Glenn Hughes handles
the vocals surprisingly well. There are a couple of love songs on it that
aren't bad by any means and possibly could be about Iommi's failed
relationship w/ the under-rated guitarist and totally hot Lita Ford.

Eternal Idol - is not bad, but not nearly as good as Seventh Star. Tony
Martin handles the vocals quite well. However, the lyrics and song writing
don't quite hit the mark.

Headless Cross - has it's moments. If you like the dearly departed Cozy
Powell - you might want it. His signature drum sound makes for some serious
power. Tony Martin does a fine job on vocals again, but once again - the
lyrics and song writing don't quite hit the mark.

Both of these release have a bit of a Deep Purple feel to them. However,
they are much darker - as they should be......

I don't own TYR, Cross Purposes or Forbidden. Anybody care to chime in on
those releases???

Dragon Rider