HW:My trip to the Milkyway/Amsterdam

Filip Vanhuyse Filip.Vanhuyse at PANDORA.BE
Sat Aug 23 13:01:42 EDT 2003

Hello all,

Well,had a swell time seeing Hawkwind in Amsterdam!!
Njamie,njamie.
This was it !!
Imagine "The Business Trip Live" with the wah wah-distortion "A Space Ritual" guitar on top.
Really a blinder.Was worth the trip.

Was in Amsterdam the day before (only 210 km from my home) and having a nice trip with my wife.She went shopping for clothes as I did for records.Hawkwind records!,and that's a bummer in Amsterdam.I've already searched some 10 times in Amsterdam for Hawkwind records and never any luck.It's not what they have,it's simply they don't have any.The only record shops who have little are chains like Fame and Free Record Shop who then have a heavy selection of all mid-priced "Yuri Gagarin"
Anyway,afterwards went for dinner and yes,it's as bad as in the uk and usa (what is it with you people?,ever heard of sofisticated food? Although I'm in no way to criticise as my father was a Michelin-star cook (as you can see on my stomach for those who know me)(it's been 15 kilos since I smoked my last sigarette)
Well,this all hasn't got much to do with Hawkwind,I suppose.
At 8 pm we set of to the Bulldog to meet some Hawkfriends and went straight inside to encounter a Disco-night ?!è?
Drank a margaritta(nice one) and went outside to look for some Hawkwind t-shirts,lucky find some,and had a really nice chat with,well anyone.I can get quite social when on alcocholic stuff.(and yes Alan I've got 246 times "silver" but mostly on compilation albums,cd's,etc.).Must mention Alisia from Russia(Moskow) who was there !!! (her first ever Hawkwind concert !!)
Brought back memories of my first one:Reading 75 (last one with Stacia)(I was only 16 years old!,my god!,now everybody's frantic counting how old I am)

Countdown:Sunday:Hawkday
Went for a long walk in the morning to clear my head and then went to a really nice Italian to get a meal (although not on the menu,had a really nice carpaggio and escaloppe,much better food than the day before,tip for travellers:when going italian,say how much money you want to spend and let them do the talking and picking!,you'll get food they serve to their mum,and their mum is the queen of their food)
After eating went to my hotel to have a rest,but crossing the Leidsplein,just really bumped into Richard Chadwick and company,wacko.Richard say hi to me and I was just baffled as it had been 5 years we actually met (been to lot of Hawkwind concerts in the uk,but never went backstage)As we were talking,Alan Davey pointed me at the back of me,and then I knew:
"This is going to be awesome".We talked for a little while,but then they wanted to have a coffee in a coffee-shop(hm-hm) and we went to our hotel(only 150 meters from the Melkweg and Leidseplein)to have that rest(although I was highstrung by that moment)
and Alan telling me to come over for the soundcheck at 5-6 pm.
Well,went there at 5pm,to see a lot of people were trying to get in,and the management wouldn't let anyone in.
Such things happens.I'm actually not the guy who wants to get backstage every time.I had a invitation from Dave at Canterbury and never used it,I was enjoying myself way to much at the side and realising only afterwards:"oh my god,I haven't paid my respects to Dave".
Anyway,went in with everybody(also must point out,I always pay(must have the ticket stub,you know,to put behind frame after glass)) ;-))
Then it was of to the merchandise stand,buying from Colin for some 80 euro.
And this is fun:as we talked to each other,they all know me by name (filip hawknut) but they don't know how I look (kris and colin)
and in the 90's(when they did a lot of continental concerts)colin,wasn't manager yet(although there used to be a tour manager,with a black moustache and curly hair who also called Colin?) and Kris I only seen once or twice.She actually thought I was a character looking like Trevor Hughes :/!,,????(had a great laugh about that)
If you really(but you don't)want to know what I look like,I was the guy who helped Kris Tate behind the merchandise stand after the gig.Also a big thanks to the Holland guys who nicked the Hawkfest 2002 cd,they told me they payed to Kris and she couldn't remember,I'm sure they didn't pay to me,that's a real bummer guys,as the band has to pay themselves the records they sell,so way to go guys,you're really lucky I was in high-spirit,I know you,don't show up at a next hawkconcert,I get you personally without anyone knowing,and this I mean !!! (you're certainly not hawkfans)
Now,happier notes,
after helping Kris,went in search of the Hawklord himself and didn't have to look far,as I went halfway into the venue,he was waving to me(actually didn't know I was so well known)and sitting both on a flightcase we had a nice talk .
Then we went backstage upstairs and had a long talk,signing session and really closing down the venue after a 3 time request from the Melkweg management to leave.I don't remember when we did get out,but the Bulldog was already closed.

This was one of the highlight Hawkwind concerts.
My wife (who bares with me,mea culpa) thought it was great(and that means something,when I want to put on something of music,she always says first:"No Hawkwind",but that probably has to do with the fact I always put Hawkwind on)

I told you already about the gig at the start,but still want to point out Keith Barton,guitar
Way,way much better than Jerry(who isn't ?,haven't said this,haven't said this,ducking,ducking,but I mean it)
If you don't know who Keith is,he's the guitarplayer from Spacehead.(Mr.Dibbs you know)
I must say he's really really good.
He doesn't look like a Hawkwind member(short hair,etc.),but hey Keith I don't look like a Hawknut neither,don't I (had some great laughs,but keep up the good works and the wah wah)

Again thanks to Dave,Kris,Richard,Alan,Keith,Colin,the roadcrew(never forget them),all the guys at the Bulldog.
This is what keeps me going.

greetings
filip hawknut