HW: Quimby's Beard + Harvey Bainbridge report (part only - it's long!)

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Aug 24 18:57:11 EDT 2003

Here's a long report (cos it was a great gig and I'm going to make you
all share it!) - in two parts and with apologies to Ian Rankin's
"Inspector Rebus" whose reporting style I have, rather liberally, drawn
on:-

The Inspector was trapped in Edinburgh investigating the Fringe but
rumours had reached him of strange events happening in a remote part of
the Eastern coast somewhere north of Sunderland.   "Mr Quimby's Beard"
he mused "dinnae trust them - beards that is - go and check it out - you
canna be too careful.  There's something going on and I'm relying on you
to find it out".   I knew what I had to do and immediately started
taking notes:

Mr Quimby's Beard - history goes back at least 10 years - first live
performance 1993 in the Sunderland area with Afresco Mantis - supported
Hawkwind on tour and performed at Hawkfests 2002 and 2003.   Hmm - 10
years of history, I mused, as well as Hawkwind links - this definitely
needed further research.

I boarded the train south - it was on time - more remarkably it was
empty.  Nothing suspicious here but I made a note that clearly the
English taking a holiday and digging up the railways lines significantly
improved the entire rail network as far as Scotland was concerned.   The
day was bright - the scenery superb - the journey swift and trouble
free - within 2 hours or so I was outside my overnight accommodation  -
stunned.    The coastal strip north of Sunderland was a fantastic clean
extensive sandy beach framed by limestone cliffs - a calm sea - a hot
sun bright day and it was almost deserted.  Definitely something to be
noted.

Quick dinner, then a walk down to the venue tucked carefully out of
sight off the main road - thanks to the directions I had there was no
chance of missing it - which was worth noting down - as was the fact
that the venue was severely short of audience although the band playing
was extremely good - elegant flute playing with solid rock guitar
backing.   I made a note of their name: Alfresco Mantis - the band who
had played with Quimby back in 1993 - and collected some evidence in the
form of a CD "The Harris Tweed EP" - another Scottish connection I
noted.    On my return I swiftly played back the CD.  Exactly what I
suspected - a good, tight, powerful flowing sound - an excellent and
professional band far too good to be unknown - this was vital
information that needed to be passed on immediately.

Back at the venue I was greeted by name as soon as I arrived not only by
Marie (she and Neil were doing the lights) but by Hardy of Mr Quimby -
damn - my cover had been blown before I was even through the front
door - indeed with my photograph on the network no chance of remaining
anonymous here - I made a note to have a word with the photographer on
my return.    No time for long conversations - I was too busy collecting
evidence in the form of CDs and even clothing with a Harvey Bainbridge
t-shirt and then Marie had to go off and do the lighting for Harvey's
show.   A typical Harvey Bainbridge style set - no concessions here I
noted - a dark stage - a voice from the darkness - flowing, flickering
lights on a backstage screen - starting with Coded Languages, through
ambient tracks with an intensity, sometimes strident, of synthesiser
sounds.  The set culminated with Mr Quimby's Beard joining him on-stage
in a stunning performance of Freefall with the base jumping videos as a
backdrop - powerful stuff.

As I carefully noted all this I was accosted by a lecherous, drunken,
middle-aged (I know because he told me), twat who assumed that since I
was female around his age and alone I must be in search of male
company - namely himself - and proceeded to blight the rest of my
evening by pursuing me to whatever corner of the room I chose to stand.
Without enough audience to blend into he was unavoidable and I had to
leave the gig immediately it finished to make sure he didn't follow.
Trust me sir - I may not have been taking notes about you at the start
but I certainly was by the end.  Your name is in my book and my comments
are not favourable.

To be continued...