OFF: Black Sabbath songs covered by medieval music band Rondellus

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon Aug 25 17:16:49 EDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:56:34 -0400, Karen Kusic <kkusic at EXECPC.COM> wrote:
>This message came through today on the e-Prog mailing list.  This
>"Sabbatum" album sounds kind of interesting.  Kind of similar to the
>band Apocalyptica playing Metallica songs on cello.  Will have to give
>the mp3s a listen.

I have the Rondellus disc and its actually not a bad listen at all. A few
of the tracks are instantly recognizable, some not so much so. I wouldn't
compare it to the Apocalyptica doing Metallica discs because those are hard
and heavy, with a pretty dense sound - they are trying to be true to
Metallica's approach, only using different instruments, while on the
Sabbatum disc Rondellus is not just transcribing the pieces but also re-
imagining them as if they were being performed by cloistered monks/nuns who
had never heard the originals. A minor complaint I have with Sabbatum is
that the production is a bit too clean and shiny - its a medieval
interpretation, there is no indoor plumbing, dirty up the sound a bit!

>Hey, can somebody post/send me the link to where we
>can read BOC-L online?

http://listserv.ispnetinc.net/archives/boc-l.html

Stephan