HW:off Urgent request for help

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Dec 3 18:49:43 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:08:55PM -0000, Hawkwind wrote:
> Has anyone got an Ericsson R520m mobile phone which still works and they are no longer using?

Someone in Kent is auctioning one on eBay's UK site:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3367281511&category=14410
As I write, the price is £10.  The auction ends Saturday evening.

If that falls through, there are a bunch on the U.S. site
(ebay.com, as opposed to ebay.co.uk), in the $40-50 range.  Check
carefully before you bid, though; many U.S. sellers refuse to
ship abroad.  (Though even if the "shipping and payment details"
section says "U.S. only", it doesn't hurt to drop the seller an
email; often they say, "sure I'll ship to <wherever>, as long as
you pay the shipping charges".)

As well, I'll ask around work; we have a few people around here
who are always upgrading to the latest-and-greatest.  But that
could get expensive (as could the ebay.com route), what with
customs, transatlantic shipping, etc.

> I dropped mine and the screen has been damaged. Apparently the
> only way to retrieve the names and numbers stored (and there
> are a lot of them!), which are stored on the phone and not the
> sim card, is to find another phone of exactly the same model.
> The info can then be transferred into said phone. These phones
> are now quite rare, but if I don't find one I lose everything

Slaves to technology, indeed...

Good luck on your search!
   - Eric

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau