A suggestion :was: From Hawkwind

Colin J Allen colin at CALLEN18.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Dec 12 09:23:57 EST 2003

OK, I am baffled by the DVD technicalities but agree on the general
uselessness of sensibly priced Windows based video editing tools.

On the subject of how I record Hawkwind gigs, the following might be of
interest (then again, it might not).

Wherever possible, I do 2 recordings:

The first is a stereo feed from the mixing desk either direct to a laptop
at 16/48 or into two channels of a Fostex D2424LV at 16/48.

The second is a multitrack recording into a Fostex D2424LV at 16/48;
dependent on circumstances, this may be either a "pure" multitrack with
every input recorded to an individual track or there may sometimes be a
slight compromise with the drumkit inputs being grouped and taken as a
stereo pair.  This is usually OK as Fleece does a lovely drum mix.

One of the problems with the stereo feed approach is that certain
instruments that are very loud on stage (ie: the amp is turned up to 11) do
not figure very strongly in the desk mix; this is often the case with
Alan's bass or any instrument in Litmus *grin*.  This problem is
accentuated in smaller venues, such as the Exeter Phoenix, where there is
virtually no bass on the recording from the stereo feed.  This can be
overcome by live mixing in another feed from an ambient mic, which also has
the benefit of providing some crowd noise and general atmosphere.

On top of that, there is also a third recording which I sometimes do which
is digital video footage, initially with a stereo input from the desk but
with the possibility of replacing this with the mixed multitrack recording.

Colin