BOC:"Stun Cowbell"?

JLoehr4299 at AOL.COM JLoehr4299 at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 14 10:48:42 EST 2003

Hey:

Just got the Jan '04 issue of Guitar One, and they have and article, "Top 10
Cowbell Classics," compiled by Robert Cherry:
10. 'Dance the Night Away'-Van Halen
  9. 'Hair of the Dog'-Nazareth
  8. 'We're Not Gonna Take It'-Twisted Sister
  7. 'Low Rider'-War
  6. 'Working for the Weekend'-Loverboy
  5. 'Evil Ways'-Santana
  4. 'We're an American Band'-Grand Funk Railroad
  3. 'Mississippi Queen'-Mountain
  2. 'Honky Tonk Woman'- The Rolling Stones
And, our heroes
  1. 'Don't Fear the Reaper'-Blue Oyster Cult :"Contrary to the SNL skit, it
was 'stun' guitarist
Eric Bloom, not the fictional Gene Frenkle who 'explored the studio space'
with his cowbell. The thinking man's hard-rock group were doubtless making a
clever literary allusion with their choice in percussion, as in 'Ask not for whom
the [cow] bell tolls; it tolls for thee.' Or maybe they just wanted to peg
the kickass-ometer."