BOC: Yesterday's gig

John Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Dec 15 08:56:12 EST 2003

> Here's the setlist as I remember it (probably not quite the correct
> order):
>
> Buck's Boogie
> OD'd
> Burning
> Stilts
> Quicklime Girl
> See you in black
> Black Blade
> Cities on Flame
> Buck guitar solo
> Godzilla (w/ Bass & Drum solo)
> Reaper
> --
> D&S
>
> They seem to be changing the set list for every show; from my point of
> view this was perhaps the weakest set.  Like, Black Blade is perhaps an
> interesting song and I hadn't heard it live before, but when you haven't
> played Germany for years, is this a good choice?  Considering the many
> truly great songs that were left out?  Same goes for Buck's Boogie.

Sometimes, in terms of setlists, I think BOC can't ever do it right in
some fans' opinions.  What to choose out a vast and interesting catalog
of music spanning 30 some odd years?  Some fans would prefer to hear
some of those more-rarely-played chestnuts, like Black Blade, and then
others feel somehow cheated if every song off *Secret Treaties* isn't
played.  I'm not sure that the fact that they haven't played Germany for
years is a good argument for leaving something out - o.k., maybe if they
had left out one of the Big 3...

> Also bothering were the prolonged bass and drum solos - in this space
> would easily fit 2-3 more songs.  I realize precious little of BOC's
> material provides a good context for showing off your slap bass skills -
> as an exception Shooting Shark comes to mind - but I still would prefer
> hearing good bass and drum work in the context of the songs considering
> the available time.

I agree - Danny and Bobby are great musicians, but these solos are
really not necessary - and as the setlists shrink, they should
definitely be left out, or at least shortened way down.

> And why are they playing CoF so excruciatingly slow?  This seems to be a
> trend they started a few years ago.

Maybe Buck can't move his fingers as fast these days?  ;-)  I don't know
- I've heard this song at many speeds, and I think it is somewhat
interesting slow (maybe it makes for a better audience sing-along at
that speed?), but not my preference.

> Frequently it looked as if the guys weren't into it anymore.
> Interestingly, the new songs (Stilts, See you..) were played with more
> energy and the band was at its tightest.  Perhaps not so surprising,
> after all.  The sound in the venue was average.  Buck's rhythm work came
> over clear, but the soloing was lost in the mix somewhere.
> Highlights for me were Quicklime Girl and D&S.  The Reaper was also
> excellent; I think I heard a bit more cowbell than usual. :-)  And, no,
> Eric wasn't responsible.
>
> The set was over much too quickly - naturally it wasn't their decision -
> and my ringing ears and sore throat prove that I enjoyed myself.
>
> However, looking back to that concert in 1992 it is obvious that the band
> has gotten older.  Of course, who hasn't?  But the sad truth is that I
> can't see BOC going for another ten years.  I'd also wish that they'd be
> on tour forever - sharing their wonderful music - but the sad realization
> is that it's not going to happen.  I can only hope that they stay
> healthy and keep on touring for as long as they deem meaningful.  Maybe
> we'll get a few good years out of them yet.

Well, enjoy 'em while you can - in 10 years Eric will be almost 70, so
yeah, it's likely BOC won't be touring then.  Then again, in 10 years
I'll be almost 50 and probably won't be let into a club without taking
my grandkids with me... ;-)

John