HW : Hawkwind Dreams

Alan Taylor Alan_Taylor at MADASAFISH.COM
Fri Dec 19 14:12:03 EST 2003

I had a Hawkwind dream the other night, no doubt due to my impending Astoria trip.  I'm no dream analyst but there are some roots to these dreams which I will mark in square brackets.

It was a summer's night and the venue for the gig was in an English town (dunno what it was called, but let's call it Nottingcesterham).  The venue itself, dunno its name but I had been there in previous Hawkwind dreams.  It was bounded on both sides by 2 roads and inside there was a modern swing door foyer.  At the back you had to go up a small round stone staircase to get out.  This had a kind of balcony and it was nicely painted in black, purple and orange stars and things.  The hall itself had a low stage.  ( just checking if anyone else recognises it.)

The gig itself was strange.  I was running around trying to take photos but my flash wouldn't work [this is probably because I'm thinking my disposable camera photos will be crap].  Dave, Alan and Richard were sitting round a table, surrounded by fans, and were playing er, no instruments.  I forget the first numbers they played but they finished with an a capella version of Golden Void. [As far as I am consciously aware, I have no desire to hear an unplugged Hawkwind].

After that I saw the new album and I remember being distinctly dismayed that Sunray and Slide weren't on it, but a few re-hashed oldies were on it. [I know exactly where I'm coming from here - I think Sunray was fabulous and would like it to become a mainstay of the live set, but that'll never happen as it can only ever be played when Arthur's there.  A bit like my feelings for Xenomorph in that it's a "Ron" song.  Anyway I digress.  I think Slide I thought of cos it's in the website, and the title intrigued me, even if it's a working title.  And the re-hashed oldies bit - that's dead obvious - it's all about Spirit of the Age and my feeling of dismay that it's the single, when the current live version is one of the poorest  renditions I've heard].  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by the single when I get it.

That's about all I can remember apart from that I met some of you there.  One of you had your wife with you and she was small and had long dark wavy hair. We always seemed to start talking at the same time and she got really annoyed with me interrupting.  Also, I was supposed to get a lift from someone from the airport to the venue, but I had somehow made it to the venue myself with no recollection of the journey (as happens in dreams).  I was trying to phone my lift when....

And then I woke up.

Cheers
Alan

See you in WC2.