Off: Help w/ British Terms

Mark Von Bargen mark.von-bargen at O2.CO.UK
Tue Feb 4 05:00:44 EST 2003

Ok, here's my stab at the definitions from a Scouse perspective and with
no
help from dictionaries or websites.
See below:
Mark
----- Original Message -----
From: "DRider" <Hawkwind at ATTBI.COM>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 12:05 AM
Subject: Off: Help w/ British Terms

> Hey Now!
>
> I have seen or heard the following terms and I am not certain what they
mean
> in context. I guess they might be called slang terms, but I do not wanna
> label them as such being from America and all....
>
> What do these terms mean?
>
> taking a piss
- having a wee; urinating
taking THE piss - winding people up; acting stupid
> bloke
- male person (usually used in a phrase like ''he is a good bloke)
> herbert
- a fool, idiot; perhaps loosely comparable to nerd but with no 'tribal'
connotations
> punter
- primarily, somebody who places bets on events. also, come to be used as
term to describe an attendee at any event. A HW show attendee could be
called a HW punter.
- earlier; somebody who sailed punts (a type of boat a bit like the gondolas
in Venice)
> bugger
- initially, a sexual term - Do U really want to know. Has now become a
general derogatory term to describe persons or events. cf: that was a bugger
of a game,
> geezer
- person (usually male); generally complimentary term. cf: he's a sound
geezer.