Off: Help w/ British Terms

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Fri Feb 7 12:55:59 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:36:16PM -0000, Jill Strobridge wrote:
> [...]

Perhaps racetrack workers generalized it to refer to all their
paying customers, not just the pros; and the term then got
further generalized to other sorts of entertainments.

> > bugger
> interesting one this!  The origin is from Latin - probably early
> medieval - apparently 'a Bulgarian heretic, believed capable of any
> crime'.   Hence it came to represent 'one guilty of bestiality and
> unnatural vice'.

That being, of course, the worst crime they could dream of...

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
A distributed system is one on which I cannot get any work done,
because a machine I have never heard of has crashed.
        - Leslie Lamport