HW: Canterbury Fayre 2001 audio quality

Alan Linsley alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK
Sat Feb 8 16:35:18 EST 2003

 --- Captain Cloud <capcloud at HAWKLORD.COM> wrote: >
Has anyone picked up the 'Canterbury Fayre 2001'
> just out from Voiceprint?
> I happened to notice that the credits list 6 folks,
> but left out Huw.

Unfortunately this is par for the course with HW
nowadays - they can't even get their own line-up
right.  Harvey Bainbridge was missed off the Yule
Ritual CD for example, even though Dave introduces him
quite early on.  Still, at least Huw retained his
writing credits - Calvert lost his from 2 tracks on
Yule Ritual...er, not that I imagine he's that
bothered now of course.

> At one spot at 1:33min into Levitation, there is a
> sound (something from the
> drum?) appearing repeatedly, which sounds just like
> a click on a bad CD.  It
> happens again at 2:03min.  However, I *think* that
> is what the live show
> actually sounded like, instead of this just being a
> bad CD.  Still, an
> unexpected sound that slightly confused me.
> The other spot is much worse.  Right around 9:01mins
> into Levitation, at the
> finale shout of "LEVITATION!", there is a series of
> crackles and then a
> burst of static.  This sounds like the recording was
> overloaded when the
> engineer brought up the volume, but I'm just
> guessing here.

It's not just your copy (sorry!), sounds like that on
my copy too.  A small price to pay for such a good
coupla CDs I reckon.

AL