OFF: University of Errors last night

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Fri Feb 14 08:16:03 EST 2003

JJ reveals...

> Josh Pollock is simply extraordinary, wrenching wild
> sheets of noise from his guitar.

Yes, and now it's interesting that his unique discordant
guitar sound is now officially part of Gong as well, as it's
been announced that he's now joined them also.

> The drummer (whose name I didn't catch) was similarly
> uninhibited

If it was a really young-looking (American) guy, that would
be Jason Mills, but they often meet up any drummer of Allen's
acquaintance that happens to be in the neighborhood of where
they're playing.  Pat Thomas of Mushroom seems only to be on
the studio works and isn't available to tour with the group.

> There were several things about Josh Pollock worth mentioning.
> He gurned ceaselessly and generally played so as to give the
> impression of being an utter Neanderthal who didn't understand
> his instrument

I think this is true!  Because I took notice of his guitar and I
was certain that he uses a righty-guitar flipped upside down (he
is, of course, then left-handed)...which isn't so unusual, but
then I was sure that the strings were not reordered to put the high
ones on the bottom where they should be.  This *should* make the
thing completely unplayable unless for some reason you learned
growing up to play the thing completely bassackward.  So I guess
there's no wonder that Pollock has such a peculiar sound.  :)

Um...what's "gurned"?  Another Britslang term, or a typo?

> But the absolute standout highlight was "Fohat Digs
> Holes in Space", during which the venue took off and
> went into orbit around the Crab Nebula.

Are they still playing it at half speed?  What I call "Slohat"?
I dunno...it was alright, but that tune to me is something that
shouldn't really fooled with so much...I mean it's already nearly
a perfect song, it doesn't really cry out for any further
manipulation.

Grakkl (FAA)