HW: Sabbaticals

nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 16 21:44:28 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:50:12 -0500, Steve Youles <youless at LVCM.COM> wrote:

>I've noticed that many Hawkwind fans are into the band for years, then go
>off them completely, sometimes for years or even decades, before returning
>to the fold.  I'd like to ask list members if this applies to them,
>particularly:
>
>1) How many years did you spend away from HW?
>2) When did you leave and when did you come back?
>3) What made you leave?
>4) What made you come back?

1. About 7 years

2. 1990-1997

3. Didn't like Space Bandits at all- the album has gone up in my estimation
since, although I'd still rate it as their weakest studio effort. In
general, thought the quality had been falling off for a while (Xenon Codex
wasn't that great either). Basically I thought they were washed up.

4. Had a brief renewal of interest in about '94 when I ran across "It Is
The Business..." in a store and decided to take a chance on it. Quite liked
it but not enough for a full return to to the Church of HW. Then in
about '97 I discovered quite unexpectedly that a friend of mine was a huge
HW fan, also lapsed. This led us to dust off all the old vinyl and I was
reminded just how great they were. The Internet did the rest- remember
looking at the old Welcome To The Future site for the first time and
thinking "Who the hell is Ron Tree??" Bought some of the 90s material,
suitably impressed by Electric Tepee and Palace Springs. Finally saw them
again at Croydon in '99 and whenever I've had the chance since.

Nick

ObAlbum: Hendrix- 'Band of Gypsies'