the female race and hawkwind

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Feb 18 21:50:09 EST 2003

I think it's fascinating to get some "non-fan" perspectives on Hawkwind
(both likes and dislikes), thanks Steve & William ...

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:54:48 -0500, Steve Youles <youless at LVCM.COM> wrote:
>My other half declines to come to the PC knowing that it's anything to do
>with HW, but she is, er, *not keen*.  Here are 3 quotes from her:
>
>1. This music makes me feel nervous and uneasy

Cool, but they don't do as good a job at that as, say, Current 93.

>2. All their songs sound the same

Mmmmm ... I love the Ramones!  And Neu!

>3. They must have been the original on which Spinal Tap was based

Yet another positive recommendation, in my opinion (one of the reasons I
like Hawkwind so much is because they ARE a band I can laugh at).  But it
just goes to show that there are a lot of differences of opinions out
there ...

>My 13-year old daughter describes them as 'sad' (purely on principle I
>think) and my 11-year old son used to profess a liking for them, but one
>admitted that he only really liked the explosions!

Can't go wrong with explosions when you're trying to keep 11-year-old boys
entertained!

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:04:57 +0800, William Duffy <xl5 at IINET.NET.AU> wrote:
>Although my mum isn't a fan of their music (though she does like some
>of the ambient stuff), she has read Robert Calvert's lyrics & has said
>that he must have been a genius!

Yes, I've gotten this reaction from several non-fans.  The two common
positive reactions I've gotten from non-fans are:

1) Calvert's an amazing poet (and yes, some have used the "G" word without
me prompting them to).
2) Nik is an amazing frontman/performer.

Neither of which relates to the thread title, since I've gotten both those
comments from both males and females ...

Surely I'm not the only person on the list who has dragged non-fan friends
to see Hawkwind (or Nik, or perhaps other spacerockers) perform ... Are
there any similar common reactions (positive or negative) that they've had
afterwards?  (Apologies if this question offends any non-fans on the list.)

     -Doug
      jasret at mindspring.com