HW: Sabbaticals

Amphetamine Embalmer superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Feb 19 19:28:50 EST 2003

Mark Von Bargen <mark.von-bargen at O2.CO.UK> wrote:

>> >Excitement over seeing Nik's band in '94, followed
>by Hawkwind the next
>> >year, with Ron Tree, who got the band out of the
>trio's "stasis"
>condition
>> >and made things more exciting to me.
>>
>> Despite my earlier lukewarm comments on Ron, it's
>probably true he
>> introduced a necessary jolt of energy. In fact I've
>never really made my
>> mind up about him- didn't see HW on the '95 or '97
>tours when by all
>> accounts he was contributing more.

>Gotta say, Ron was fantastic in '95 as an out & out
>frontman doing his own
>thing which incidentally included a few Calvert
>numbers.
>'97's bass role restricted his band fronting
>activities but the overall
>shows were still excellent.

I agree. When I saw them at The Limelight in 1995 I
was surprised at how well he did as the then new
singer, decked out in fluorescent lab coat and flight
goggles, delivering a great and energetic performance,
the opening "Master Of The Universe" and the subtle
rasta bits in the otherwise punked up "Urban Guerilla"
really making the grade IMO. I also agree about his
role as a bassist, as on the Strange Daze 97 video he
did pretty well, devil horns and all and doing new
numbers like "Reptoid Vision".....

>Mark

Chr.