Hawkwind Sabbaticals / Sexist Survey

t.byrne t.byrne at NTLWORLD.COM
Thu Feb 20 00:25:05 EST 2003

Hi all

1. How many years did you spend away from HW?

None, I'm proud to say. I even bought all the (official)albums as they came
out in the 80s and wondered why I still did it.

2) When did you leave and when did you come back?

Never left, but became more enthusiastic with the advent of the internet and
meeting other fans, and especially with HW's return to form over the last
few years. Let me at this point put in a plug for the IRC channel
Hawkwind.org.uk on newnet which is a great forum for finding you're not
alone in the universe (see 2nd part of note).

3) What made you leave?

Nothing, but in the 80s I  wondered why I stayed.

4) What made you come back?

I'm currently enjoying the 'Winds 2nd wind.

The other thread.

This isn't exclusively a female thing, as friends and colleagues have
thought I was daft too. Having said that the wife endures the HW passion
with amused & bemused tolerance. For years she was convinced that I was
their only fan, that they produced the endless re-issues for me personally
because they knew that I would buy them and that they had only ever released
four tracks which kept coming out in different incarnations.

Having said that. she's accompanied me to concerts, which she's hugely
enjoyed, especially the Summer 2002 fest.

A couple of years ago one of my sons did a school project on Hawkwind,
focussing on the SF connection. His classmates did bands like Linkin Park,
Oasis etc. the teacher wrote "An interesting and unusual choice" on his
work - which is as good a one-line summary of the band as I've come across.

The kids also appreciated the Summer Fest and Canterbury, but their musical
taste seems to veer towards angry bands who deliver their songs at the top
of their lungs.

On the way back from the Summer Fest they did very passable impressions of
Space-Rock swooshes all the way home and parodies of Michael Moorcock from
"Warrior", which I was hard pressed to tell from the real thing.

The wife considers HW to have lots of charm and to be not nearly as
unlistenable as Magma, my other musical passion.

Regards

Tom