HW: Sabbaticals

nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 20 09:24:37 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:12:22 -0500, Mick Crook <m.j.crook at TALK21.COM> wrote:

>I have to disagree on this point at least as regards being onstage. Bob
had a unique, theatrical way of performing and moving about on stage. I
can't say as I ever saw Ron acting anything like Bob, or sounding like him -
 at least at the gigs I 've seen him at. I think that although comparisons
between Bob and Ron are ineveitable - they are also unfair.

I agree entirely! I just think that, as you say, the comparisons became
inevitable, because after a while Ron's role seemed to be restricted to
singing the Calvert songs. I don't think this did Ron any favours.

Like I said, I never saw him when he wasn't either a) encumbered by a bass
guitar or b) offstage half the time, so I may not be in the best postion to
judge. And I quite liked his vocals. But I did have a bit of a problem with
his lyrics. Although I suppose it's fair to say that aside from Calvert,
lyrics have never been HW's strongest suit.

Nick