HW: Sabbaticals

nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 20 20:33:29 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:16:22 -0500, Doug Pearson <jasret at MINDSPRING.COM>
wrote:

re. Alan Davey

>did he take voice lessons during his sabbatical from Hawkwind?  His singing
>these days is lightyears beyond his vocals in the late-80s/early-90s).

And there was I assuming his voice (both speaking and singing) had dropped
a couple of octaves purely through self-abuse (drinking and smoking, I
hasten to clarify).

In fact, that's... why, that'd be just like Lemmy! Imagine that.

(although maybe Alan doesn't drink??)

Some of the free
>associations Bob came up with are incredible, and it's fascinating to hear
>how he jumps between ideas.  Probably the best example of this would
>be "Over The Top", but there are also cool instances at the end of "25
>Years" on the 'Hawklords Live' CD, and the middle/end of "Uncle Sam's On
>Mars" ('PXR5' version).  I'd love to hear more examples.

Don't know if it was truly spontaneous or not but I particularly like the
bit on 'Time For sale' where the refrain "a second.. a second.." becomes "I
sicken.. I sicken.."- whether pre-planned or not, it's a Total Bob Moment.

  Unfortunately,
>the few times Ron attempted this, he'd usually end up repeating some
>catchphrase over and over.

Yeah, and usually the catchphrase was "genetic engineering", or similar.
That used to get on my nerves. I would agree his bass playing was better
than people gave him credit for, though.

Nick