HW: Over The Top

Steve Bayley steve.bayley at HERTSCC.GOV.UK
Fri Feb 21 11:34:29 EST 2003

M Holmes wrote in reply to Doug Pearson :

> One thing that Bob could do, which very few singers can (I was in a band
> with one once, but he was often as unbalanced and difficult to deal with
as
> Bob could be), was to freely improvise lyrics.  Some of the free
> associations Bob came up with are incredible, and it's fascinating to
hear
> how he jumps between ideas.  Probably the best example of this would
> be "Over The Top"

M Holmes >> So any guesses at how "It's all a fable for fountains now" fits
in with
Kitchener and WWI? Or did I mishear the lyric?

*****

Is Over The Top commercially availiable now then?  (I'm one of the
sabbaticle folk) I have an acetate from 197???? with Dave's handwriting on
a plain white sleeve listing the tracks and asking a record company
(charisma?) if they want the LP or if he can have it for release himself

I hardly dare play it but Bob's improv is fantastic on Over The Top!

I can't quite remember the lyric so anyone else got any ideas?

******

I sent this to 'Hawkwind at yahoogroups.com' and intended to copy to this
group but think I forgot, 'scuse if you've seen this already...

<< snip >>

I spent a day with Bob back in late 80's.  I'd gone down with two mates to
Ramsgate where he was living at the time to hassle him gently along for an
interview for a fanzine.  I'd been contacting him via an address that
seemed to be an agent/publisher but turned out to be his home.  The plan
hadn't been to actually see him that day but he asked us straight in.  We
spent hours sitting around in his kitchen drinking tea, smoking, chatting
and recording the interview.  He was extremely good company, lucid and
eloquent.

I often used to see him before London gigs with 'krankshaft' or 'the
starfighters'. A mate of mine used to do the sound for him and I'd go along
with the crew (thus getting in for free) and hang out with Bob for a while.
Sometimes he was cool other times really manic.  And, yes, of course at
some gigs he was better than others.

I saw what I think must have been his last live performance in the 100 club
on Oxford Street.  He was really charged up and quite wired that night, but
bursting with creative energy.  The following week I saw Huw Lloyd-Langton
(at Dingwalls I think) and Martin Griffin was there.  I was chatting to
Martin about a planned HW 20th anniversary re-union gig and mentioned that
Bob had said how exited he'd been at the idea.  I remember clear as day
Martin saying "Of course you know he's dead."  It was a real double take
moment as the news hadn't been released in the music press yet.

Bob really was a fantastically creative person, full of enthusiasm.  I
never saw him live with HW but his input to the band really shaped their
music I think.

Steve

                      M Holmes
                      <fofp at HOLYROOD.E         To:      BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
                      D.AC.UK>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: HW: Sabbaticals
                      BOC/Hawkwind
                      Discussion List
                      <BOC-L at LISTSERV.
                      SPC.EDU>

                      21/02/03 11:51
                      Please respond
                      to BOC/Hawkwind
                      Discussion List

Doug Pearson writes:

> One thing that Bob could do, which very few singers can (I was in a band
> with one once, but he was often as unbalanced and difficult to deal with
as
> Bob could be), was to freely improvise lyrics.  Some of the free
> associations Bob came up with are incredible, and it's fascinating to
hear
> how he jumps between ideas.  Probably the best example of this would
> be "Over The Top"

So any guesses at how "It's all a fable for fountains now" fits in with
Kitchener and WWI? Or did I mishear the lyric?

FoFP

The information in this message should be regarded as
confidential and is intended for the addressee only unless
explicitly stated. If you have received this message in error
it must be deleted and the sender notified. The views
expressed in this message are personal and not necessarily
those of Hertfordshire County Council unless explicitly
stated. Please be aware that emails sent to or received
from Hertfordshire County Council may be intercepted and
read by the Council. Interception will only occur to ensure
compliance with Council policies or procedures or
regulatory obligations, to prevent or deter crime, or for the
purposes of essential maintenance or support of the email
system.