HW: Collaborations

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Tue Feb 25 13:31:25 EST 2003

cosmicdolphin wrote:

> And the Results Sofar:
>
> Edgard Varese (Who?)

Zappa was into him. He was the so called "father of electronic music."
Here's a bit from
http://csunix1.lvc.edu/~snyder/em/varese.html:

> The most popular work by Varese at this time was Ionisation. (1929-31) which
> introduced the siren as a musical instrument. With 37 percussion instruments
> and two sirens, it was likened to "a sock in the Jaw."

I always thought HW could have provided more structure (and/or blanga) to
his madness, while Varese was a whiz with found sounds and blurts of odd
electronic weirdness. Hence, the perfect HW collaboration. ;-)

Brian