Sputnik Stan's Robot helper?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Feb 26 07:02:45 EST 2003

Henderson Keith writes:

> Kevin forwards...
>
> > http://www.kmsb.com/technology/sci/KMSB_local_spacejunk_021903
> > .25b32de7.html
>
> Of course, the perfect name for this project, esp. if championed
> by NASA, aka the National Association for the Suggestion of
> Acronyms, is "Space-Trash Accumulation Nexus."

It all sounds a bit improbable to me. Surely the deltavee involved in
changing orbit to grab some new piece of junk would make this
fuctionally a one-shot probe.

Personally I suspect this is just the Shape-Changing-Fractal-Robots guy
in a new incarnation.

OTOH, there was a paper about using giant spun-up mirrors to slow the
small particles of space junk enough to have them hit atmospheric drag.

The small particles are the most numerous, and the ones that NASA and
Noraid can't track.

FoFP