HW: Mudhoney & Earthlab

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Feb 26 21:28:49 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 11:32:39 -0000, Dave Bottomley <merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK>
wrote:
>Folks might like to know that this month's Mojo magazine comes with a free
>CD featuring 26 'punk' bands, amongst which is Mudhoney's version of Urban
>Guerilla from a John Peel session sometime last year.

Great!  Thanks, MOJO!  I've been waiting to hear this for the year or so
it's been their standard encore.  Picked up a copy last night, and I gotta
say that it's a very good version (but I've also been a Mudhoney fan since
1988, so I *would* say that).  Of course, the credits in the magazine are
incorrect (surprise, surprise) with no mention of Robert Calvert's
contribution to the composition ... oops!  Of course, that may be because
Mark Arm mangles the lyrics a bit (just a bit, not as severly as Nik
doing "Steppenwolf" or Alan singing the same verse three times
on "Ejection").

>Not a bad CD all round, as it happens - preceding track is the
>Only Ones' wonderful 'Another Girl, Another Planet'.

Great song!  And the successive track is the original version of "Neat Neat
Neat", definitely another winner.  (However, leaving the Pagans, the Germs,
and the Misfits off a list of the "50 best punk albums" is as inexcusable
as including great non-punk bands like Television, Devo, and Sonic Youth on
said list.)

>For BOC-ers, the mag also includes a feature on the making of the
>Clash's 'Give 'Em Enough Rope' which was, of course, produced
>by Sandy Pearlman.

And for people who don't like punk rock or BOC, there's an interview with
Roger Waters (he mentions he wouldn't recognize a Clash song if he heard
one on the radio).

NOW, when's there gonna be a Sex Pistols live-cash-in album with their
version of "Silver Machine"?

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com