OFF: Radio Birdman, in car commercials appear

Scruton, Jason Jason.Scruton at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Thu Feb 27 10:47:01 EST 2003

Had the TV on while reading last night, and in the middle of a voiceover
about low rates for APR financing , I hear...

"ay ay yup! Really gonna rock tonight!"

When I think of Radio Birdman's war against the jive,
Toyota is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Since I like RB more than I like the Clash - and this
very issue came up on other lists around said band, and the Who
too - I've only started to think about it now.

Does the artist/writer of the tunes always have to give
consent to the use of their material in ads,
or can it sometimes up to the Co. that publishes the tunes,
regardless of the performer's aye or nay?

Jason