OFF: Radio Birdman, in car commercials appear

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Feb 27 10:01:48 EST 2003

On 27 Feb 2003 at 10:47, Scruton, Jason wrote:

> Had the TV on while reading last night, and in the middle of a
> voiceover about low rates for APR financing , I hear...
>
> "ay ay yup! Really gonna rock tonight!"
>
> When I think of Radio Birdman's war against the jive,
> Toyota is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Yeah, I hear ya, but the residuals on Radios Appear can only take ya so far...

> Since I like RB more than I like the Clash -

Why not, RB's a far better group...

and this
> very issue came up on other lists around said band, and the Who
> too - I've only started to think about it now.

Esp. considering that only 1/2 of the band can vote on such decisions?
Did you see the article in Rolling Stone [yeah, I know!] by John Densmore on
attempts to get Doors music into commercials?  Great stuff.  He's a class act, and
his article only make me admire Morrison more...

> Does the artist/writer of the tunes always have to give
> consent to the use of their material in ads,
> or can it sometimes up to the Co. that publishes the tunes,
> regardless of the performer's aye or nay?

It's only up to the 'owner' of the song.  Do you think Fogerty gave his permission to
use his tunes in ads when he won't get anything for it?  Just twisting the knife again!
But yes, the owner has to give permission, otherwise the song can't be used...

theo