HW: Sabbaticals

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Thu Feb 27 14:38:43 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 08:16:47PM +0000, Alan Linsley wrote:
> Aug 97 - Nik guests on US gigs inc Strange Daze?

Certainly Strange Daze!  I don't think Nik guested with HW at the
others, though I could be wrong.

> 1998 - bugger all
>
> 1999 - was this the year Brock & Tree were denied
> access to US?  So Rizz, Jerry & Richard did the gig
> with Steve Taylor & others from ALien Planetscapes.

"We are the ones who are left."

That was 1998 -- the last time, I believe, that any entity
calling itself "Hawkwind" has played in North America (unless
there was a show in Cleveland the Sunday night of the fest
weekend, as often happened).  Pressurehed closed on the Friday.

At SD'99, Nik headlined, backed by Farflung as in 1997 -- after
Tommy and Len had led off as a duet with a (too-)short set of
Anubian Lights trance.  B0rn to G0 stepped bravely into the
Friday headline spot after the original closer cancelled, and the
replacement, without even the courtesy of a phone call, simply
failed to show up.

For SD2K it was Harvey Bainbridge, doing his solo thing.  Daevid
Allen headlined the Friday night with his University of Errors
project.

2001 had Mr. Quimby's Beard closing.  Nik headlined the Friday
night, with a pick-up band.  (Harvey also played, just before MQB
as I recall.  Nik sat in -- and was surprisingly well behaved
ego-wise, perhaps having gotten that out of his system the night
before :-).

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
A distributed system is one on which I cannot get any work done,
because a machine I have never heard of has crashed.
        - Leslie Lamport