Once again music gets the blame

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jan 8 09:58:08 EST 2003

From: M Holmes <fofp>
Subject: Re: Once again music gets the blame
To: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>

Neil Shilladay writes:

> M Holmes wrote :

> obHawkwind: It seems almost quaint that they pulled a verse of Right to
> decide concerned with gun crime when you see the fuss about rap music.
>
> I remember the controversy when RtD came out. IIRC, was it not to do with
> some chap, who, when approached by officials trying to forcibly evict him
> from his house, pulled a gun and shot one of them ? (my memory is a little
> hazy)

I did have a copy of the pulled lyrics but seem to have lost them. The
story was of a chap near Newcastle who had troubles getting planning
permission for a bungalow. Since the objection had to do with height, he
dug a ditch and built the bungalow in it, thus lowering the roof below
the maximum height. The council then said that he'd built it six inches
too far to one side and ordered him to dismantle it. Acrimonius
exchanges followed as well as threats to anyone coming to bulldoze the
property. In the end the bulldozer arrived along with a Council officer
who had felt it only fair to turn up in person to serve the writ upon
the hapless occupant. The Council officer was shot dead and an
accompanying policeman shot and injured. The occupant was jailed and his
family and friends in the end dismantled the bungalow.

Can't remember the chap's name though. Alf something?

FoFP