Once again music gets the blame

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jan 8 10:26:44 EST 2003

Cpt Blue Skin writes:

> I dont think people should be carrying firearms to go outdoors to town etc -
> but having said that -  I have known woman (in america) who have avoided
> being mugged or raped because they were able to pull a gun and scare the
> attackers off long enough to get to safety.

Well yeah, there aren't so many muggings indoors, though sadly it's far
from unknown.

One caveat for the UK though: folks who carry to the pub definitely
ought to hand them in at the bar before being served, and pick up the
next day.

I'm sure the muggers would get the drift though, but the risks of
drunkards probably outweigh the risks to drunkards in that case.

How do they handle that issue in redneck towns in the US?

> I certainly do believe that a homeowner should have the right to have a
> registered weapon for self defense and should have the right to use that
> weapon if someone breaks into their home.  Not like here in Australia where
> if someone breaks into your home (even if they are armed) and you
> practically have to hand them a questionaire to determine whether or not
> they are actually breaking in with intent to harm you or just to rob you
> before you are able to defend yourself - AND EVEN THEN you still might end
> up being charged.

That's pretty much the state of affairs here in the UK after the
Dunblane Safety At Work Act. Hell, if a home invader trips on a child's
toy left carelessly on the floor you can be sued.

My blood reaches fahrenheit 451 every time a politician asks "How can we
stop crime?".

FoFP