Immunizations

Chip Hart chip at PCC.COM
Wed Jan 8 11:50:36 EST 2003

Cpt Blue Skin wrote:
> Just correlate the stats regarding child vaccination programs vs gun
> problems over the past thirty years in any country and you will see an
> interesting trend.

        This garbage is waaaay off topic, but I finally had to chime in.
        If people are just going to dump bs like this to BOC-L, I'm
        going to offer a little reality.

        I work with pediatricians for a living and while it's clear that
        the science of immunizations has improved over the years, the
        *overwhelming majority* of anti-imms data - like the above - has
        been debunked.  The immunization "debate" is one of the best
        examples of "anecdote vs. data" and "emotion vs. fact" I've
        seen.

        I mean, doesn't ANYONE see the absurdity of the comment above?
        Tying gun control issues into immunization information - what a
        riot.  Care for me to correlate "gun problems" with Internet
        Access or something like that?  Yeesh.

        If you want a brief and limited overview of the anti-vaccine
        crowd, head to places like:

http://pages.ivillage.com/vaccinesupport
http://www.pathguy.com/antiimmu.htm
http://www.skeptics.com.au/journal/anti-immune.htm
http://www.geocities.com/issues_in_immunization/fearmongers/opposition_to_immunization.htm

        ...and much more.

        In a nutshell: unless your scientific "data" comes from a peer
        reviewed source (i.e., _real_ doctors and _real_ scientists),
        it's probably not reputable now is it?

        Have you ever seen or HEARD someone with whooping cough?  Know
        anyone with Polio?

        Unless, of course, there's a Great Big Conspiracy going around
        that we're all missing.
--
Chip Hart - Marketing                *  Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com                       *  1 Main St., Winooski, VT 05404