Once again music gets the blame

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jan 8 13:44:04 EST 2003

Cpt Blue Skin writes:

> Alot of people think you get shot and the next day you have a bandage on it
> and you are fine.  Like - they can just shoot someone a little bit.

I have to admit the opposite: I was quite surprised that shootings in
the US are fatal less than 50% of the time. I was positively stunned
when I read Lott and Kleck on defensive gun use and discovered that guns
in defensive use in the US are fired less than 2% of the estimated 1.5
million times they're used to prevent crime and hit someone less than
half the times they're fired.

Assuming that even half the time it's an innocent that's shot and
killed, that's 1.5 million crimes stopped for innocent fatalities in
less than a quarter of a percent of incidents.

So while we're fed the story of the US being a more or less continuous
armed shootout zone that would make the Lebanon seem like a library, the
real story is of a kind of armed anti-crime spree without the bullets.

To some extent Hollywood is more real than newspaper reporting.

FoFP