Once again music gets the blame

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Jan 8 12:58:49 EST 2003

On 8 Jan 2003 at 18:44, M Holmes wrote:

> So while we're fed the story of the US being a more or less continuous
> armed shootout zone that would make the Lebanon seem like a library,
> the real story is of a kind of armed anti-crime spree without the
> bullets.

Excellent point.  I live in an old, decayed, rustbelt city with a population around 150K
[metro area more than twice that] full of unemployment and no hope of a decent job
for a local kid, and gun crime here is ridiculously low.  You'd think this place would
be a breeding ground for gun crime.  And, although there is some gang activity, and
we get about 10 murders a year, this is a relatively safe place to live.  Sounds a lot
safer than the Scotland you describe!

theo