Once again music gets the blame

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Wed Jan 8 17:41:11 EST 2003

> I remember the controversy when RtD came out. IIRC, was it not to do
with
> some chap, who, when approached by officials trying to forcibly evict
him
> from his house, pulled a gun and shot one of them ? (my memory is a
little
> hazy)

I went down to Newcastle to do some checking up on this when it
happened.   It is a deeply sad story that ended in the death of a man
who tried to be fair, open and honest and who paid for it with his life.
This event has left a deeply distasteful memory for me and a sense of
wrongness in every aspect of it.  The newspaper reports make it clear
that there is considerable uncertainty about the details behind the
story but whatever the problems that led up to it, Harry Collinson did
not deserve to die and I think we should commemorate him, the everyday
person doing a job like us, living a life like us, trying to help and
not hurt another.  He was the victim.  He was the hero and it is he who
deserves our sympathy and he is the one I always try to remember out of
this - not his killer.

jill