HW: Summerfest 2003

Maxine Wesley maxine.wesley at PORT.AC.UK
Thu Jan 9 08:25:08 EST 2003

My 4 penneth.....

Having gone to the Hawkfest last year I would have to say "yes" to a
'repeat performance'... met some great people, had a ball!!

As for the site, great location, lovely views, tent peggable ground...
actually thought the place could have catered for at least a couple of
thousand more 'punters', it seemed a little sparse at times in the main
arena... which was a shame for the performers? Also at night a larger
crowd would provide a bigger huddle to keep out the cold! I don't think
you would lose the intimacy/fun factor ..... As for 'passport holders
only' I felt what, to a certain extent, was missing from the Fest were
the ordinary Hawkwind fans, the ones I meet at the gigs, not all of
whom have internet access, not to mention 'passports'. In fact I know
a lot of people who have expressed an interest in the festival, who had
absolutely no idea that it was an event last year... real fans who have
been following Hawkwind for years (bought all the albums, didn't even
know HW still do live gigs).... they were the spirit of HW past... to
exclude them is bordering on criminal. I don't know how you go about
advertising to attract the 'core' fans of yore but it's a poser for the
organisers? Maybe a solution is to 'reserve' a certain amount of tickets
for PP holders and sell the remaining 1000's to Joe Public.

Double the size of the 'cafe' ( a great place to 'chill' perched on
wooden tree stumps) & get me (and I hear the roadies screaming for..)
a meat eating burger stall, gotta keep the strength up & loathe to get
too involved with trying to cook & get drunk simultaneously.

With a few more punters you would, of course have to provide more
(as someone so eloquently put) 'crapping' facilities. Infact based on
last year I would say that we could have done with 2 x the amount of
toilets for the same number. Not that I minded sneaking off into the
bushes in the top field when the portaloos became unsavoury... I was
not alone (except at the crucial moment of course).

I will start saving now (the latest crop of shrooms are poking their little
heads out of the fertilizer.....)

:-)

Maxine
Always willing to express an opinion.