OFF: Solaris

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Jan 15 11:42:44 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:57:47PM -0600, Arin Komins wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Eric Siegerman wrote:
>
> :Subject: Re: OFF: Solaris
> :
> :On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 04:47:48PM -0500, Mike Montfort wrote:
> :> Is also a phenomenal Prog Rock band reminisent of Jethro Tull.
> :
> :Is *also* not-so-phenomenal operating system (vaguely)
> :reminiscent of FreeBSD :-/
>
> hey...not at all reminiscent of freebsd.  Solaris is sys V based, not
> bsd based.  So more reminiscent of the other sys V based systems (aix,
> hpux, irix, etc.)

That's why I said *vaguely* reminiscent :-)  I was trying to
imply, "vaguely reminiscent of a decent UN*X"; guess that didn't
come across.  I've rarely heard anything good about the other
SysV's you mention (AIX is sometimes nicknamed "aches and
pains"), and the one other SysV I've used, Novell UnixWare, was
truly horrid -- weird C2isms getting in the way all the time.

(Linux isn't horrid because it's SysV, but only because all the
distro's feel rather half-assed -- well, all the ones I've tried
anyway.)

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Just Say No to the "faceless cannonfodder" stereotype.
        - http://www.ainurin.net/ (an Orc site)