HW: Other Bands

David Howard & Kim Pieters info at RELEVENTS.ORG
Thu Jan 16 01:09:00 EST 2003

My answer respects the bias of the question towards popular genres,
otherwise jazz saxophonist Billy Harper and classical composers like Arvo
Part would dominate. I've also tried to cancel out mood by listing those
artists I own the most records by; in this instance quantity is indicative
of quality:

- Robert Fripp solo - especially his 'Soundscapes' series - and with King
Crimson; his signature sound gets inside my bones.
- Fairport Convention: the early lineup with Richard Thompson, Sandy Denny,
and Ian Matthews has haunted me for thirty years; my delight extends through
their various (and erratic) solo projects.
- Terry Callier, for his tender experimentation.
- Mike Heron, both solo and with the Incredible String Band, for the
innocence in his songs.
- Robin Holcomb, for her knowing regret and her deft arrangements.
- John Martyn, particularly his acoustic period, where he redeems slurring
from the gutter.
- Alain Stivell, who did not exactly invent Celtic music but certainly
brought it to international attention.
- Chris Whitley, for his determination to keep the blues moving rather than
to rehash it like Clapton et al.
- Soft Machine, because they were my bridge to jazz.
- Dead Can Dance, who reduce me to silence.

David Howard