HW: Other Bands

DRider Hawkwind at ATTBI.COM
Fri Jan 17 19:34:19 EST 2003

Good thread.....

It's tough to limit to only 10, since music is my life's blood. I will leave
out the spacerock in my list of ten here and just say that I love Farflung
and any Tommy Grenas project along w/ DarXtar, The Spacious Mind, Korai
Öröm, MQB and prog like Nektar, the Flower Kings, Eloy, King Crimson, Djam
Karet.

Then there's the Grateful Dead and all their numerous offshoots. Jerry
Garcia is one of my spiritual leaders.

As some know, I am a DAT taper and I get out there and tape many of the
bands in what has been labeled the "Jamband scene" which follows in spirit
to what the DEAD pioneered. There's moe. String Cheese Incident, Galactic
and many more. One of my favorites is Les Claypool's Frog Brigade. In fact,
I have nearly the entire 2000 Tour! Les Claypool is just my kinda freak -
all the way  ")

Then there's the bands that fall more into the jazz realm, such as the Derek
Trucks Band, Medeski Martin & Wood, John Scofield, Helborg, Lane & Sipe, the
Steve Kimock Band and Project Object.

Just one word: ZAPPA!

The two "Jambands" that sit at the top for their longevity are Phish and
Widespread Panic. I am not too happy w/ Phish these days, due to their new
ticket service which screwed me out of making it to Hampton, Virginia. The
way that they are making shows available to fans is not too cool either.
Sure you can download the shn of the most recent 4 shows, but it costs a
pretty penny and you have to use all your own materials and do all the work
yourself. I just have gotten the impression that they don't give a shit
about their fans. And this is from a "Phan" whose "Phirst" show was 3/14/92!
That could change if they make some modifications......

These days I am much much more interested in Widespread Panic!

One of my favorite bands that is associated w/ most of the bands listed
above is Government Mule.

When I was younger I was a metal head and I still break out some heavy
stuff, as you will see from the list of the last 10 recordings played......
I love the old UFO, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Sabbath and some of the lesser
known bands like Riot, Exciter, Warlord, Manowar etc. etc....

Here's the last 10 things played at my place (not in any order):

Hendrix ~ 7/30/70 ~ Maui
Government Mule
 - Deep End Vol. II, Life Before Insanity
 - Warren, Weir & Friends - 14th Annual Christmas Jam
The Legendary Pink Dots ~ 6/9/00 Jacksonville, FL
Iron Maiden - Eddie's Archive
Frog Brigade - Mountain Aire Festival 5/27/00
Halford - Crucible
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity
Joy Division - Closer
Elektrum - Live At The Opera
Jane's Addiction ~ 12/28/02 ~ Denver, CO

Currently cloning my Derek Trucks Band 12/27/02 master.... ")

Peace,

- so it was me on the mic, Dave Murray on guitar, and we would do "Silver
Machine" by Hawkwind, because that was 3 chords and it was easy.
Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden