HW: my Hawkwind recommendations

Amphetamine Embalmer superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Tue Jan 21 06:14:47 EST 2003

Just thought I had to post my recommendations in
alt.punk from awhile back to someone asking for
recommendations on Hawkwind, and I answered thusly:

Re: Hey Fairy Yuga Speedfreak...

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:51:47 GMT, Ned Ludd
<brentc at flag.blackened.net> wrote:

>I listened to some Hawkwind the other night and was
duly impressed for
>the most part.  I mean, it's kind of
hit-or-miss...some of the stuff
>I've heard is a little too hippy/Pink-Floyd-y.  But
that heavy shit like
>"Sliver Machine" and "Motorhead" (duh)...Oh, mama!  I
don't know why I
>never got into this stuff before...
>
>Anyway, can you recommend a good CD release that's
heavy on the heavy
>and light on the spacey??

Favorites:

* "Chronicle Of The Black Sword" - original Flicknife
release w/bonus tracks like "Assault & Battery" and
the original version of the album which includes the
ripping speedmetal of "Arioch", it is scorching heavy
metal based on the books by Michael Moorcock

* "Friday Rock Show Sessions: Reading '86" - great
live set with Lemmy guesting on "Silver Machine" and a
great version of "Assassins Of Allah"

* "Choose Your Masques Collector's
Edition: Live '82" - great rerelease from their early
80's metal anarchy/NWOBHM period with highlights like
"Arrival In Utopia" and "Social Alliance"

* "Hall Of The Mountain Grill" - remaster edition
recorded in 1974 partially at the Edmonton Sundown
with classic psychedelic  tracks like "You'd Better
Beleive It" and "Web Weaver"

* "Sonic Attack" - 1981 album rereleased on CD by EBS,
the album has classic tracks like "Living On A Knife
Edge" and "Trans-Dimensional Man" - Tibetan Book of
The Dead optional in the metal anarchy!

* "Live 1997" - brilliant live set including recent
members Ron "Bastard" Tree and Jerry Richards doing
scorching punk tracks like "Reptoid Vision" and
"Phetamine Street"

* "PXR5" - 1978 release with the same lineup as
"Quark, Strangeness And Charm" and includes such
classic sf new wave as "Robot", "High Rise", "Jack Of
Shadows" and others

* "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" - the Dojo CD edition
of this classic 1975 fantasy epic includes the
original version of "Motorhead" as well as "Kings Of
Speed", otherwise "Opa-Loka" and "Assault & Battery"
and other classics are included on this last album
with Lemmy, and also has Michael Moorcock doing some
crazy spoken pieces

* "Electric Tepee" - a masterful 1992 release from the
power trio of Brock/Davey/Chadwick with a massive
psychedelic track like "LSD" opening the album along
with other tracks like "Snake Dance" and "Blue Shift"
also being classics

enjoy!
Chr.