Harvey Bainbridge - it wasn't me!!

Dr _ Technical dr_technical at MCMAHON66.FSNET.CO.UK
Thu Jan 23 07:04:04 EST 2003

Ah, those were the days..
I remember my first HW gig at Preston in 1981 and would like recount a
little tale from it. It was a very sparse HW line up as I recall
(Brock/Bainbridge/Langton/Griffiths)and a very techno sound to boot! Well
this was 1981, remember and they certainly used a lot of synthy sequencers
etc. Think of the Sonic Attack/Church of albums.
Anyway, back to the story-after jostling my way to the front, I took up
prime positon at Harvey's feet, an ideal postition for the view and the
LOUD loudspeakers. From the start, someone behind me was throwing bits of
ripped up fag packet at por old Harv (don't ask me why, I think it was a
post punk thing). I could see he was not amused by this and his face
became more like thunder as the song went on (I think it was Psi Power).
Eventually he cracked as the pieces of paper continued to come and he bent
down to me, looked me right in the eyes and shouted 'F*** OFF'. and
nonchalntly continued playing whilst giving me the occasional evil eye.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, after all Harvey had spoken to me
and in mine and my mates eyes (we were school boys back then)me and old
Harv were almost best mates! Of course I was the toast of the school
playground for months afterwards and obviously the story was blown out of
all proportion in that we talked for ages etc etc!
So, just to put the record straight - Harvey, it wasn't me!