OFF: decent US Metal bands

DRider Hawkwind at ATTBI.COM
Fri Jan 24 14:06:09 EST 2003

I was going to mention Montrose, but thought that my post was getting a
little long......
I love Montrose and was lucky enough to see them in November 1976 opening
for
Ted Nugent at Veterans Memorial in Columbus, Ohio.........

the Nuge must have been jealous of Ronnie or something because all of the
tickets had the line under Ted Nugent marked out w/ a black marker
if you moved the ticket in the light, you could see that it said, "special
guest Montrose"

I still have that ticket stub.......

I saw him a again a couple times in the late 1980's w/ his machine gun
guitar
(the most memorable was in 1988 at the Phantasy Nite Club in Cleveland, Ohio
w/ Allan Holdsworth opening ")

I have been impressed that he actually responds to email.

I own most off all his releases including Gamma.

My brother turned me onto Montrose and the first time I heard Space Station
#5, I was hooked......
That was right after the record came out... I was 9 years old  ")

If I had to pick my favorite Ronnie Montrose records.....
That would be tough. The first (self-titled) release is a true classic.
Paper
Money is good, but not quite up to the first. The Bob James era is pretty
good. I like Warner Bros Presents better than Jump On It. Open Fire is
fantastic! The band Gamma was pretty cool. Their first release is my
favorite
of the 3. Then I would say Territory would be my favorite of the
instrumental
stuff. Music From here is also good.......

Many folks have no idea that Montrose plays guitar on the classic Edgar
Winter release "They Only Come Out At Night" featuring the hits -
Frankenstein and Free Ride....

Get On Your Bad Motor Scooter and Ride!!

Also, I can't think about Montrose w/o mentioning Rick Derringer. To me he
peaked w/ his band called Derringer that put out a self-titled record,
another called Sweet Evil, and a great live album......

Sittin By The Pool,