BOC: death comes like a compilation down the highway...

Matthew Braun mbraun at URBANA.CSS.MOT.COM
Fri Jan 31 12:12:04 EST 2003

Ted Jackson <tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU> writes:
>On 30 Jan 2003 at 14:03, Bolts of Ungodly Vision wrote:
>> "Agents of Fortune" is being released by Sony on high fidelity SACD
>> (Super Audio CD) format. Release date is March 18, 2003.
>>
>> Playing SACDs requires an SACD player. The discs do not play on
>> standard CD playing equipment.
>>
>But you CAN play them on a DVD player, right?

Not on a "standard" DVD player, no.  Last month's issue of "Sound and
Vision" magazine published a survey of DVD players on the market, and
listed (IIRC) no more than a half-dozen models which can handle both DVD
and SACD.  Among them was the Yamaha DVD-S2300 and Marantz DV8300 models,
which play DVDs, DVD-Audio and SACDs, CDs, and a couple other things.

Otherwise your option is a standalone SACD player.  Sony recently
introduced an SACD changer for <$400.

I just got the Yamaha this week, but only have a 2-channel setup. :-(

                                        m@

+-mbraun at urbana.css.mot.com-+--Experiments that failed too many times -----BOC+
|   Matt Braun -- Motorola, |    Transformations that were too hard to find   |
|  Urbana, IL Design Centre | Poison's in my bloodstream, poison's in my pride|
+Simulation Technology Team-+--- I'm after rebellion--I'll settle for lies. --+