(OFF) Vietnam

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 7 11:47:44 EDT 2003

>On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 11:51:46PM +0100, Richard Lockwood wrote:
>
>=> Apologies for the completely off topic post - Can anyone tell me (this
is
>=> the only mailing list I'm on that has a high proportion of American
readers)
>=> why America went into Vietnam in the first place?  I know it's
a "stopping
>=> the spread of communism" thing - but what were the political arguments?

Rich-

The book "Heroes" by John Pilger includes a section on Vietnam, with an eye-
opening description of events that led up to US involvement.

It's worth pointing out that John Pilger is something of a left-wing
firebrand and you may want to look at something else for "balance", but
it's a fascinating (if depressing) read nonetheless. The book includes
similarly disturbing analyses of a range of conflicts and political
situations, including a section on the UK miners' strike and Thatcherism
which will take you right back to the heady days (??) of Britain in the
1980s.

Nick