HW: Hawkfest, public transportation

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Thu Jul 31 15:21:27 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:17:54PM +0200, Henderson Keith wrote:
> P.S.  Did anyone else notice that a tributary (or vice versa) of the
> Wyre near St. Michaels is called Brock (River/Creek/whatever)?

Living in Southern Ontario, one gets used to that.  I grew up
across a fence from the original campus of Brock University (and
learned programming on their mainframe -- Burroughs B5500, if
anyone cares -- up the hill on their current campus).

Brock's Monument is a good place for a picnic.  (It's the thing
like Nelson's Column at Trafalgar Square, but out in the woods
with nothing apparently around.  To a Londoner, I'm sure it would
look rather like that lone lamppost in Narnia.)

Every town has a Brock Street/Road/whatever.  A friend used to
live on the one in St. Catharines; the one in Toronto is mostly
notable for being home to one of the latest-closing Beer Stores
in the city :-)

> P.P.P.S.  I'm familiar (sadly) with English trains...why they shake
> one about so very much is something I don't understand.  ICE trains
> here in central Europe are so smooth, that you have to look out to
> the ground to see if you've actually started moving or not.

Depends on the train.  The Virgin one up from London to
Manchester is smooth as can be (they even have little LED
displays to indicate reserved seats).  The rattletrap little
train from Manchester to Southport was quite a shock by
comparison...  (I'm guessing that the Stockport->Blackpool run
will resemble the latter.)

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot